Miss Luther

Apr 15, 2022

Alexa Luther meets with creative design student freshman Ava Mejia about her individual design project. Luther is student teaching in the Family and Consumer Science Department and will be a full time teacher next year at Millard South. -Photo by Vivian Kaldahl

Alexa Luther is teaching Healthy Living, Interior Design, and Creative Design alongside English teacher Shelby Bockelmann. She is enrolled at the University of Nebraska – Lincoln with a major in secondary education Family and Consumer Science. Luther is also a Millard West alumni and credits her aspiration to be a teacher to her high school teachers. Luther said, “I struggled in my personal life when I was in high school, and would not have made it through without the support and encouragement from my teachers at Millard West.” Luther said, “As I got older, I realized that I wanted to pay it forward and be the teacher that students go to for advice and support.”

Talking about her time student teaching, she said “I have learned a lot about what my expectations will look like as a new teacher, and what I want my classroom environment to look like. She added, “I have grown an appreciation for all educators and have also met a lot of wonderful teachers at this school,” concluding that student teaching has been one of her favorite educational experiences. Her goal is to mentor students as well as to teach them how to be well-rounded members of society. She will be continuing that goal at Millard South next year, as she will be taking over for Bockelmann.