Categories:

Parking drives students crazy

Parking drives students crazy

Junior Issi Simpson has changed up her morning routine this year due to traffic and parking lot jams.

These long lines stem from the new parking lot policies. In the morning, students will now be parking in the main lot, south lot, and the Buell Stadium lot.

“With the new parking situation, I have to leave my house earlier than usual, and when I get here the line is still backed up all the way to Hy-Vee,” Simpson said.

The west lot is now reserved for teacher and staff parking only. This leaves only two ways for students to exit the parking lot in the afternoon. Because of this new policy, students are facing the challenge of leaving school in a timely manner.

“It’s harder for me to get out of the South lot on time. I need to be at my job by 3:30, and every day I’m still in line by then. I wish there was a way to make the lots have multiple exits to make getting out more efficient,” junior Jaedyn Colman said.

Along with the new parking policy, students have been informed they will need to primarily use the main entrance throughout the day, which has made it difficult for juniors and seniors who have open lunch to get back to class on time.

“It’s already difficult to go somewhere and get lunch within the 32 minute period,” junior Lauren Kelly said. “It’s inconvenient that I now have to walk all the way to the front of the building when I park in the South lot. It’s easier to be late now,” she said.

The new policies have impacted almost every aspect of the school day, but it has also positively affected the security of the building. Administrators implemented the policies to make students feel safer and make the transition easier.

“The parking makes it more convenient for the students,” assistant Michaela Wragge said. “If you’re parked on the west side, you would have to walk all the way around the building to come in the main doors. That’s where the safety comes in. Coming in one entrance lets security know when people are coming in the building. Visitors don’t get buzzed into the main building, they’re buzzed into into the office and are questioned,” she said. 

Students and teachers hope that as the year goes on, everyone will find the strategy that works best for them to navigate the parking lots.

Donate to We Are Millard South
$0
$400
Contributed
Our Goal

Like what you see here? Your donation will support the student journalists of Millard South High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase cover most of our annual website hosting costs.