The Student Journalism Site of Millard South High School

We Are Millard South

We Are Millard South

We Are Millard South

South selected for district’s only JROTC program

Sam Sliva
Business Manager

img_2094

As some of you may have noticed there’s a new room on main street. This new room is for the new Junior ROTC program. This is the program’s first year at Millard South. The program exceeded its projected enrollment goal of 70 students and is currently enrolling 114 students.
“I’m from Bellevue so this gave me a good chance to sort of get into the area, plus this is the best school in the area,” Tech. Sgt. Peter Mamula said. Mamula teaches the course alongside Maj. Ryan Bagley. The main goals of the course are to teach students communication and leadership skills while also teaching them how to help their community.
“I really wanted to mentor our students,” Bagley said. “When I was their age I didn’t have as many opportunities, so I want to help today’s kids,” he said. The JROTC program does more than just teach leadership skills; they also offer academics in aviation, health and wellness, and go on the occasional field trip to places such as Offutt Air Force Base or The SAC Museum.
“JROTC is definitely helping me think and prepare for my future,” Cadet Mackenzie Welty said.
The JROTC’s main goal is to help students prepare for their future. The course also includes days where they train physically and teach students good ways to stay in shape and live healthy lifestyles.
“It’s helping me get better at public speaking and giving me valuable leadership skills,” Welty said.
“We work very closely with our Color Guard team; the team here is really phenomenal,” Bagley said. The Color Guard ceremonies that are done by the JROTC will be presented at every game that is played at Buell Stadium.
“I think it’s an honor that we get to present the colors at every game, we get to represent the entire district,” Bagley said.