Meet the Ath’elite’: John Harrington

John Harrington, Tennis

Junior John Harrington returns a forehand in a match against Bellevue West. Photo by David Church.

Ally Seevers, Sports Editor

Athlete: John Harrington, Class of 2022

Team: Varsity Boys Tennis

“This will be my third year playing tennis,” said Harrington. “I started playing just to stay active for a fall sport.”

John said, “I was JV freshman year, then varsity sophomore and junior year.”

Spot: #2 Singles

“I guess play more singles,” Harrington said. “I like singles more because it’s independent.

Although he likes playing independently, John enjoys spending time with the team.

“The guys are funny and fun to be around,” said Harrington. “The trip to Kearney was really fun cause I got to hang out with the whole team. And cause we got to stay at a hotel together.” 

He said, “I think my favorite thing about tennis is that it’s hard.”

Tennis is hard, and while that might be Harrington’s favorite thing about it, it definitely hasn’t been the easiest.

Just having confidence in myself really helped me come back.

— John Harrington

When asked about something he struggled with, John said, “Just like a bad record. I had to fight for my spot since I wasn’t doing so hot. So I worked harder in practice.”

He also said, “Just knowing how good I am and that I can play at that level. Just having confidence in myself really helped me come back.”

And he did have a comeback. At the Metro Conference Tournament, in Round 1, Harrington pulled off an upset against the 6th seed Millard North, winning 9-7. Then he went on, beating Bellevue West 8-1.

Even though John is a great player with a lot of talent, he said he couldn’t have done it without the help of his coaches.

“The coaches, they helped me get better,” John said. “Especially Coach Domonick, he’s an assistant coach. But he has helped me a lot.”

Well done this season, John! And may next year be even better!