Baseball community rallies together after tragic death

Ally Seevers

Members of the baseball community, including the Millard South and Millard West varsity roster, release balloons ons in honor of Ralston senior, Tanner Farrell.

Ally Seevers, Sports Editor

On March 12, just after 10 p.m., sirens blasted through the streets of Millard, plowing through the traffic as they rushed to the scene of a high school hangout. As officers pulled up, they saw the devastating ending of a show-and-tell: the death of Ralston baseball senior Tanner Farrell. 

One month later, during the Millard South versus Millard West rival game, the teams honored the life of Farrell, who was tragically shot and killed while his best friend displayed his family’s gun. 

“Between the 3rd and 4th inning, we had the families of Tanner come out, having a moment of silence to honor his life,” junior Max Heard said. “We cleared the dugouts and all just surrounded the families.”

Following the moment, the teams walked to right field, hanging up a very special banner. The banner, the initials “TF” sitting inside home plate, signifies the ever-lasting impact Farrell had on the community.

“Tanner was someone who could make friends with anyone,” senior Braden Sweet said. “He was always super nice and had a contagious smile. Hanging that banner there, it shows that he will always be with us.”

After the game, the teams, families, and fans all gathered around home plate, releasing balloons as the day marked the one-month anniversary of Farrell’s death.

“It was a very special moment, commemorating the life of Tanner,” Heard said. “Seeing all the balloons fly out into the air, it was just a very special moment.”

“The balloon release at the end, that was awesome. Millard West wasn’t on one side, Millard South wasn’t on one side; we just all came together to celebrate a life cut too short,” junior Cam Kozeal said. “Watching the balloons, I think we all realized that there’s something bigger than baseball. Life is very precious; we can’t take any day for granted, and it’s sad that something like has to happen for us to realize that, but I think it brought everyone together. It was just a great thing to do for the family and the baseball community.”