Stashing your stuff

Locker use nearly nonexistent in 2023

Charleen Darra

Tori Kreiter, sophomore, stores her backpack and school supplies in her locker.

Anna Gurciullo, Staff Reporter

In nearly every movie about high school, there is always some scene of characters putting books in their locker or having the romantic scene over the lockers, but in reality, nothing ever happens along the lines of lockers.

It’s true that it might take quite a while for a student to happen upon one of the only 50 or so students who actively use one.

“We have tracked locker usage for several years now,” Principal Heidi Weaver said. “We have about two-to-three hundred students who request a locker out of 2000 lockers, but of that many, about 50 of them use it,” she said.
Sophomore Victoria Kreitler is one those few students who have and actually use a locker. Kreitler said that she uses her locker to put her lunch and winter coat in there every day.

Though she uses her locker, she said it’s not easy.

“Definitely isn’t efficient, especially when it’s on the other side of the school, and you can’t even get to your locker,” Kreitler said. “The only time you have to get to your locker is during the passing period but everybody is blocking the lockers,” she said

Sophomore Allison Eller says she doesn’t use a locker because there are so many people in the hallways that she can’t get to them and be comfortable getting all her stuff and not rushing.

“We don’t have time in the passing period to get in a locker especially if you need to use the bathroom,” she said.
As the student population continues to grow, the passing periods are getting more and more packed.

Removing lockers “would create more space in the hallways and that’s what’s really needed for kids to get around and that would lead to kids not being late as much and maybe extending the passing periods,” Eller said.

Many students would agree on Eller’s point of view, when it comes to the space being used more efficiently. Kreitler’s opin-
ion is that “It would just be good just to leave the space open to have more room in the hallway for everybody to walk since it’s always so crowded and no one uses the lockers.“ Sophomore Lauren Dill said removing lockers would, “create more common spaces for people to hang out in, like little nooks.”

Overall, students said they that there would be no harm in removing the lockers and that it would help out
with traffic during passing periods, less people being tardy, etc. Therefore Principal Weaver is the judge on whether or not we can or should remove the lockers.

When asked about the locker situation, Mrs. Weaver said, “We have tracked locker usage for several years now, we have
about two-to-three hundred students who request a locker out of 2000 lockers, but of that many, about 50 of them use it, and I think that has even gone down through the years.[If were to take the lockers out, there’s a possibility that the next trend would be back to everyone wanting a locker.”

Although taking out lockers would increase the amount of space at school, we would be stumped if everyone wanted
to use lockers once again.]

If we get rid of them, the next trend, we would be back to everyone wanting lockers.”
Saying that some students would still be in need of lockers, without any lockers available to satisfy their need.

The newly added common spaces by the south door was an appealing feature for the school, with many believing the same could be done in other spaces that are currently occupied by lockers.

“We’re watching the South doors and the common space there,” Weaver said. “There have been lots of good things, but there have also been a few things that I think have been negative impacts that we need to work through before we would do something like that,” she said.

According to Weaver, some students are using this new commons area as a way to skip class. Weaver and the rest of the administration plan to combat this by “sweeping” the area and plan to put up a sign stating the area is a “senior-only” sitting during the school day. That isn’t the only negative impact, though. According to Weaver, some students have been seen standing on and messing around with the furniture. This has led her to ask herself one big question: “Do we open up more places for people to go that should be where they are supposed to be?”

Another obstacle in the way of more common spaces being added, is that some people question the school’s ability to even remove the lockers in the first place. When asked about this, Weaver said, “It’s possible,” but the ability to fund said projects is what truly stands in the way of future common spaces being added.
With “Less than fifty” people with lockers, one question truly arises: Are the lockers truly necessary? And if they aren’t, is there even a good enough reason to do anything about them.