The Student Journalism Site of Millard South High School

We Are Millard South

We Are Millard South

We Are Millard South

Staff Editorial

District should pay for Quizlet
Ali Arias
Artist Statement: After reading the story and speaking with the story writer, we both decided to go with a visual representation of a student trying to study but not being able to due to apps costing money. I hadn’t used any references for this piece, I sketched out ideas on what I wanted to do. After the sketches I again spoke with the writer of the story to ask if they had wanted me to add or change anything before I began to outline with a fine tip pen. I had drawn the student with a discontent expression as they brought focus to their computer opened up to a studying app that was now not needing payment to be able to continue. On the board the words test and study are written and on the table and a pile of notes are sprawled out needing to be filled out. After outlining, the piece was scanned and rendered. If i could change anything, I would add more onto the board, there is a lot of blank space that could have been filled in. I am happy with my decision to add exclamation points atop the computer alerting the student of the new update.

Everyone remembers the day our beloved Quizlet was ripped from our study routines and trapped behind a paywall. The tool has been a staple for years as we used it to learn vocabulary for English or practice new words for language classes. However, ever since Quizlet implemented the new premium version, the effectiveness of the tool for students has spiraled downward, but there is still hope for Quizlet’s glory to be restored. The district already pays for a variety of educational tools such as Google and Adobe products. They also pay for premium versions of free products like Canva. The district should add Quizlet Plus to the roster of available tools for students as the website has much more to offer than what the free version makes available. 

One of the most valuable features of Quizlet Plus is the Learn function. Currently, students can only complete five rounds of Learn before they are prompted to sign up for Quizlet Plus. If the district paid for Quizlet, students could maximize the function’s full potential. This would allow students to use Learn an unlimited amount of times where they can customize their experience for short-term or long-term learning. Students would be able to practice with vocabulary through flashcards, multiple choice questions, and a writing and spelling mode. The great thing about Quizlet is that it recognizes what concepts that still need to be practiced and it will give extra rounds with these questions. This is an especially great tool for world language classes as it gives students the opportunity to practice the spelling of foreign words with that language’s accents and letters. Repeated repetition through these reading and writing techniques is one of the best ways for students to learn, and as of now, access to this ability is locked behind the premium subscription.

Quizlet Plus also offers users the Q-Chat option which can allow students to turn their notes into flashcards, which is a great way to review materials, especially in the upcoming finals season. This feature gives students a personalized experience practicing concepts in other formats rather than just multiple choice or through flashcards. 

The paid version also allows students to complete multiple practice tests for their study sets. This feature is a great way for students to test themselves on the material and get a grasp of what they need to continue to study. 

It would be beneficial if the district paid for Quizlet Plus because it can be used in almost all grade levels and classes. Quizlet would be a great tool for older elementary school students to practice for spelling tests and math concepts. Middle and high school students can use it to prepare for finals and tests as well as practice world languages. Teachers can use the Quizlet live function to make learning fun by getting everyone involved so that they can put their knowledge to the test. Teachers can create helpful study sets for students to practice and prepare for class. 

The district should pay for a Quizlet Plus subscription because it allows students to have a much more personalized and beneficial learning experience. Students would regain access to the Learn tool as well as a variety of other helpful resources to study for tests and practice vocabulary.