The Student Journalism Site of Millard South High School

We Are Millard South

We Are Millard South

We Are Millard South

Paid Versions of Studying Apps

Many teachers use different studying websites to help their students get more involved in learning and create a fun way to want to study. Some of the most common websites that are used are blooket, gimkit, kahoot, quizlet, and quizizz. Based on a recent poll that was taken 70% of students enjoy using blooket to study, 46% enjoy using gimkit and 42% use kahoot. All three of these websites are great resources because the free version is available to all staff and students and is almost the same as if the paid version was purchased. The paid version of gimkit just includes unrestricted access to game modes. While the paid version of blooket includes access to the blooket plus game modes, larger hosting rooms (300 students) and more tokens. The paid version of kahoot provides access to more premium content available.

Many students enjoy gimkit because of the different game modes such as don’t look down, and capture the flag. In gimkit you earn points for answering questions correctly and are able to purchase costumes and trails with your points. Gimkit is more for a classroom setting since most of the games are multiplayer but there are a few games on there that you can play on your own. Blooket is a great website if you are more into studying on your own, but it is also used as a multiplayer game. In blooket there are game modes such as tower defence and gold quest. Much like gimkit, blooket has tokens you earn after playing games where you are able to earn more icons/characters called blooks. Kahoot is great for either multiplayer or singleplayer use. There is only one game mode which is the classic gamemode and you can only create certain characters based off of what they have in the game. 

If teachers were to pay for kahoot they would be paying 7.99$ per month, or 96$ annually. If they were interested in paying for blooket the price would be 2.99$ per month or 35.88$ annually. If teachers were interested in purchasing gimkit then the cost would be 15.99$ a month, or 59.96$ annually for one teacher. Gimkit also has a way that your school district could purchase the gimkit plus with the cost being 650$ per 20 teachers annually, or an option for 1000$ for the whole district annually. 

According to Srta. Newburn, “I like using gimkit in my classroom more than other games because it runs smoothly in my classroom and it puts my students in the mood to learn. I also love that there is a lot available even without paying the extra money.”

Getting closer and closer each day to finals can be stressful to find new ways to study so each of these websites are great for creating your own study sets too using the free versions.  If the school would purchase the pro versions of these games many say that it wouldn’t really improve our learning any more than it does already, so it would not be worth it.