Biology teacher to study retirement life

Welch takes attendance for her Pride Time.
Josilynn Prokupek

As memorable, fun, and happy a thing can be, good times will always eventually come to a close.  This same thing can be said about Jacquie Welch’s retirement.

“I decided to retire so that I could spend more time golfing, knitting, and with my grandkids,” the biology teacher explained.

Welch has been teaching at Millard South for 22 years, teaching biology in Room 245.  She says she loves science and kids which made her career enjoyable.  However, she didn’t start out as a teacher at first.

“When I got out of college I was a respiratory therapist,” Welch said.  “I stayed home with my kids after they were born.  I went back to school when they got older.  I had always wanted to be a teacher and decided it was a good time.”

And a good time it was.  Many students when asked have responded in only positive ways.

“She’s very positive, always greeting us when we walk into her classroom,” sophomore Josilynn Prokupek said  She’s also very organized and put-together, she’s got her stuff where she needs it!” she said.

Welch being well-liked by her students is also backed up by graduated students, as she says that her past students will sometimes visit her at school and chat with her, telling her how much they loved her class while they were in it.  She appreciates all of her students, but hearing from her past students and seeing how much they’ve grown and succeeded is especially great to her.

The biology teacher, while happy about her retirement, says she’ll miss the environment, specifically, the other teachers.

“My peers in the science department have impacted me the most. They are all great educators and I looked towards them for support and motivation. We are a great team and I am going to miss seeing them every day,” Welch said.

Her retirement doesn’t end her involvement with school entirely though!  Welch says she intends on remaining in school and with kids in some way, though the answer to that isn’t quite clear to her yet.  Either way, Welch will be incredibly missed by the students and staff at South, but her impact on our school will remain.