The Student Journalism Site of Millard South High School

We Are Millard South

We Are Millard South

We Are Millard South

Screen monitoring program permits teachers to peek in on laptops

August Yancey
Artist Statement: I got the idea of the text from the first paragraph of the story. I thought it would really fit the theme of computer monitoring. I drew this on my phone on IbisPaint X. I think I could’ve added more detail yo the computer part and blended the background better, but I’m overall happy with it. I decided to make it look a bit messy to give it a more poster-y look.

Student computers have been a luxury since middle school. While the computer’s purpose is to be used as a school material, there are still ways that it can be distracting to students.

There have been some different programs that are being piloted as a way for teachers to monitor student’s computer screens while they are in class.

“The program that we piloted is called Securely and what it does is it allows us to see little thumbnails of your screen,” said science teacher Nicole Kinzer. Kinzer is one of the teachers that have been trying out the new program. “So we can see how many tabs you have open but we can also see what you’re on if we click on a student individually.

If we know that students are struggling academically, this allows us to bring back that engagement piece.

— Nicole Kinzer

Securely is the program being piloted by Millard South. However, there are two different programs being tried throughout the district within the middle schools and the high schools.

The use of the program is now offering teachers more ways to help students that they haven’t been offered before.

“I think there’s a lot of benefits. One benefit is engagement, making sure our students are engaged in their learning but also academic honesty… Being able to monitor academic honesty is a huge benefit,” said Kinzer. “If we know that students are struggling academically, this allows us to bring back that engagement piece.”

When originally asked, the departments were interested in testing out the program.

“When I reached out to the science department to see if they were interested, it was an astonishing yes… Some of the other departments, when they found out we were doing this, wanted access to it as well. I don’t think I’ve seen any pushback from teachers,” said Kinzer.

Teachers have noted that the program might be difficult for students to become comfortable with, but overall will be beneficial.

“At first the students might find it kind of frustrating, but I think, ultimately, it is for your guys’ own good,” she said.

At first the students might find it kind of frustrating, but I think, ultimately, it is for your guys’ own good

— Nicole Kinzer

While teachers are getting well acquainted with the idea of being able to monitor computer screens, some students might find it a little jarring.

“I was confused and wondering why we needed this level of invasion in our school work and throughout the school day,” said senior Kelsey Rix. “It keeps me on edge because you know that throughout your whole class your teacher can see everything you are doing on your laptop.”

However, there are some pros to being able to monitor students.

“I think that this could potentially be used for good if it was more test based. Like if it was only used when kids were taking tests to make sure that they are not cheating and staying academically honest. But… you can’t do anything without constantly being monitored by your teacher,” said Rix. “Our computers are already being monitored by the school, restricting what we can search and other things so I feel like this whole thing is a bit of a stretch.”

To learn more about how Securely works, click here