The Student Journalism Site of Millard South High School

We Are Millard South

We Are Millard South

We Are Millard South

An afternoon featuring a fire alarm, power outage, flooding and confusion

Photo Gallery

What started out as a fire drill during the end of 2nd block lunch Sept. 21 turned into an hour and a half ordeal where if something could go wrong, it did. A fire alarm, power outage, generators failing, a storm rolling in and a sprinkler dousing equipment in the shop, this day had it all. Yearbook photographers Jamison Hanway and Shelby Neeley who were in class at the time, covered it all from beginning to end and after.

The Fire Drill: 12:30 p.m.

Waiting in the west parking lot for the “all clear” signal from what seemed to be a normal fire evacuation, students had no idea they would be outside for another hour. (Jamison Hanway)

Millard South Media’s Wilson Dittman captures the crowd while still outside in the west lot. (Jamison Hanway)

Moving to Buell: 12:55

Business department head Jamie Robinson directs students to move from the fire drill evacuation location in the west parking lot to Buell Stadium. (Jamison Hanway)

Students left their belongings in the school believing it to be a short fire drill. “In this moment, I was like oh em freak my keys and phone are in the weight room. Got them though,” senior Persephyne Skradski said (Jamison Hanway)

At Buell: 1:00

French teacher Terri Wright watches students and faculty pile into Buell Stadium. (Jamison Hanway)

Teachers who left in a rush regroup at Buell. (Jamison Hanway)

While at Buell, students look for each other and communicate their location while storm clouds look to start rolling in. (Jamison Hanway)

Students call parents to express their uncertainty about the situation. (Jamison Hanway)

Teachers accompanied students to Buell and tried to keep them seated in the bleachers though there were no announcements over the PA due to the power outage. (Jamison Hanway)

Assistant Principal Brad Millard talks on his phone while at the same time listens to the walkie talkie. Administration lost radio communication with each other for some time during the outage, making it hard to execute a plan of action. (Jamison Hanway)

Students gather in Buell stadium to escape the chaos inside the school as a storm rolls in. (Shelby Neeley)

Returning to the building 1:35

When students were let back in the building, emergency lights were working in the hallways but not in classrooms. (Shelby Neeley)

Students contact family members to pick them up as chaos ruled the hallway after being let back in the school building in semi darkness. (Jamison Hanway)

Power Restored: 2:00

Secretaries field phone calls from parents once the power and systems came back on in the office. (Jamison Hanway)

The normally packed 300/400 staircase was all but empty during the passing period prior to 4th block. Most students left right after being allowed back in to get their things. (Jamison Hanway)

And then the Flooding 

Automatic sprinklers came on in the skilled and technical sciences area. Custodians pushed the water out. (Jamison Hanway)