The Student Journalism Site of Millard South High School

We Are Millard South

We Are Millard South

We Are Millard South

Alumni returns to Patriot Theater as a teacher

421 Views
Kane Good
Class of 2002 alumni Erienne Wredt in her auditorium management office in the music wing. Wredt’s office is right off the back stage door.

Erienne Wredt is the newest addition to Millard South’s speech and theater departments. Along with being a Millard South alumni, she has a long history of theater experience that she will bring to her new positions as theater co-sponsor and auditorium manager.  

Prior to working at Millard South Wredt taught at Benson High School for 11 years and taught theater there. Before that she did theater professionally in New York. 

“When I first moved there [New York] I did some stage management as well as some small non-paying shows. Then eventually I got my equity card [became a member of the Actor’s Equity Association] so I was able to do bigger, better paying shows. The shows ranged from weird one-off dance shows for festivals to mostly regional East coast tours.” Wredt said.

Her passion for theater is clear. 

We get to tell really great stories and suspend reality for the time that people are there [at a show] and I think that’s really cool

— Speech and Drama teacher Erienne Wredt

“My favorite part of theater is the magic that happens that makes the audience believe what is happening on stage. We get to tell really great stories and suspend reality for the time that people are there [at a show] and I think that’s really cool,” Wredt said. 

Her position as theater co-sponsor entails co-running almost everything in the theater department from theater club to theater classes to shows.

She said she is looking forward to working at Millard South alongside long-standing theater sponsor Robyn Baker. 

“I am most excited about having all the amazing supports that are here. Also, it is really nice to have someone who does the same thing that you do to bounce ideas off of,” Wredt said.

With her experience and passion in theater Wredt is sure to ace her role as co-theater sponsor and speech teacher.