The Student Journalism Site of Millard South High School

We Are Millard South

We Are Millard South

We Are Millard South

United Sound fosters musicality and inclusivity

On May 9th, the three bands at Millard South came together to have their spring concert. There was something special about this particular performance, though. As the top band finished their third song of the night, about a dozen united sound mentees and student volunteers entered the stage to perform a combined piece. 

“United sound is a band and orchestra combined for kids with special needs so they can have the same experience but its at the level that they can succeed.” Freshman Libby Rigg is one of the United sound mentors. The combined united sound band and orchestra played a song titled “My Three Best Friends”, with mentees playing instruments of all kinds. Libby plays the viola in orchestra and took charge, finding ten orchestra volunteers to play with the band. “We play with wind ensemble, which is the varsity band and we had some volunteers from orchestra come in and play with the string united sound kids. It was really memorable because the kids have been working all semester on this song, and, you know, this is one of the only concerts they get” says Rigg. Both band and Orchestra get at least four concerts a year.

United Sound is an organization with a mission to support all musicians by using peer mentors and educators. Its goal is to minimize barriers for students with disabilities and be able to share music with everyone, as well as to promote social change for the better. “[United Sound is important] because I feel like these kids do not get a fair chance at life, and I feel like people are always so rude and they’re like, ‘Oh they can never do anything’ and in United sound we show that they can.” Rigg states. In many music programs little resources or thought are given to students with special needs. United Sound seeks to decrease this problem by pairing student musicians with special needs- mentees- with peer mentors, who provide guidance, support, and friendship to the mentees. 

Another inspiring aspect of the United Sound program is that by promoting and celebrating inclusivity and diversity a culture of acceptance and understanding is fostered throughout the entire school community. It allows these students to not only gain musical knowledge and skill, but allows them a sense of belonging and empowerment. Student mentors also gain empathy and leadership from being a part of this relationship. United Sound is an awesome initiative that bridges the gap between music and inclusion, and our school is a better place for being a part of it.