The Student Journalism Site of Millard South High School

We Are Millard South

We Are Millard South

We Are Millard South

Parking Defeats Patriot Drivers

I thought it would be cool to outline the drawing with color to give it a sharper look.
Zia Willits

The new system of parking has been a commotion throughout the school. Because of a new school policy to help improve security, students are parking in only three of the four parking lots available around the school and entering through the main entrance more regularly. This new policy is a major adjustment, because during the 2022-2023 school year, students had access to all the parking lots available and could enter through multiple entrances during the day. This policy is in place so that it is easier to monitor the building but it may be a hassle for some to make sure they get to school on time due to the large lines to get into the remaining parking lots. The biggest change to this new system is that the west parking lot is no longer available to students for parking. Only staff can park there, though it is available for parents to drop off or pick up in the mornings or after school. All Students are now required to park in the south and main parking lot if you have the corresponding white parking sticker. If you have a red sticker you are required to park in the east Buell visitors parking lot.

“I used to park in the west lot making it easier for me to enter and exit before and after school but since that lot is now closed I am forced to park in the south or main lot.” Senior Caitlynn Prokupek said

In the morning upon arriving at school all students have access to enter through the main, south, and west entrances. After the first bell rings at 8 and classes begin, students do not have access to the west and south doors and will only be able to enter through the main entrance. Entering through the main doors has caused some problems for junior and senior students, because if a student leaves for lunch and they have to park in the far end of the south lot they still have to enter through the main doors, which takes more time and creates a higher chance that they are tardy when going back to class. 

Junior Addison Bundy states “I only leave for lunch once in a while because when I leave I have to make sure to hustle because of the parking and I have to make sure I have enough time to get through the main doors and back to class.”

Since students have lost access to the west parking lot there has been a noticeable increase in traffic before and after school. After school the lines to get out of the parking lots are so long that it can take 20-40 minutes just to leave. Before school lines can be backed up for blocks in both directions on Stony Brook Boulevard. Many students have had to change up their morning routine due to these new restrictions. 

Sophomore Natalie Haecke says” I have to wake up a bit earlier in the morning but it is not much of an issue for me, what I have really noticed is it takes a while to leave with my parents after school.”

During the first block everyday the west parking lot has about 55 spots open that are not parked in and are not used by teachers throughout the day. The east Buell lot has about 230 parking spots and only about 30 of them are actually used. Both the main and south lot are full throughout the day leaving only a few spots open for students to park when coming to school.