The Student Journalism Site of Millard South High School

We Are Millard South

We Are Millard South

We Are Millard South

Starstruck in Lincoln: Greta Van Fleet Lights up Pinnacle Bank Arena

Alexa Leiting

On April 29th, electrifying American rock band Greta Van Fleet graced Lincoln, Nebraska. The band, composed of twins Josh and Jake Kiszka—manning vocals and guitar, respectively—alongside Sam Kiszka on bass guitar and keyboards, and family friend Danny Wagner on drums, delivered a captivating performance showcasing their 2023 studio album, Starcatcher.

The concert, held at 7 pm in the Pinnacle Bank Arena with a capacity of around 15,500 seats, was not completely sold out but maintained an engaged atmosphere. Despite being a smaller venue compared to their previous performance at the CHI Health Center Arena in Nebraska, it provided fans with a more intimate experience with the band. The show started with openers Mirador and Geese. Both bands were centered toward a heavy rock sound that filled the stadium with electricity, something hard to do as an opener. Although they were decent bands that held their own, the crowd seemed to lose interest after about one and a half hours of listening to the two bands’ music.

At approximately 8:30 pm, Greta Van Fleet took the stage. With literal fire explosions, lights perfectly encapsulating the feeling of the music, and Josh Kiszka’s iconic voice, the band caught the undivided attention of the audience—and held onto it.

Each band member, donned in their unique colors of red, black, white, and silver, embellished with sparkling rhinestones, exuded a retro charm reminiscent of iconic 1970s music legends. Greta Van Fleet’s sound not only brought a much-needed classic rock vibe to the stage but also offered a refreshing departure from mainstream music, resonating deeply with fans.

Josh Kiszka’s dynamic vocals, ranging from falsetto to powerfully sung shouts, added depth to each song. However, the style of music made it challenging for listeners to grasp the lyrics without prior familiarity. The concert also showcased captivating solos by Jake and Sam Kiszka, as well as impressive drum solos by Danny Wagner, challenging the notion that instrumentalists are overshadowed by lead singers.

Notably, Josh Kiszka’s humble gestures, such as handing out white roses to fans multiple times during the show, resonated with the audience, showcasing the band’s genuine connection with their supporters. Additionally, the band’s decision to perform two songs on a smaller stage directly across from the main stage allowed for a more intimate connection with the other side of the audience, enriching the overall experience for everyone present.

The concert concluded with the fan-favorite song “Light my Love” and the Starcatcher’s closing track “Farewell For Now,” bidding the audience a fond goodbye and a safe journey home.